Chen-ou Liu's Translation Project: First English-Chinese Haiku and Tanka Blog

Thursday, July 13, 2017

Selected Haibun: The Thin Line Between

shouting from the rooftop
who knew what when ...
October snowflakes

"The truth is that we are born alone and die alone" he pants, trying to catch his breath while walking down the stairs. "I don't believe in God, and there is no guiding hand on my shoulder that will remain with me. What I have in between life and death is one battle after another that I want to win."

When we reach the ground floor, he has a heart attack and dies shortly upon arriving at the hospital. It's a death without goodbyes from family and friends. It's just a day before his 50th birthday, a time, based on Confucius' teachings,  to think about and follow the will of Heaven.

slanted sunlight
I turn to the first page
of Ecclesiastes

Haibun Today, 6:3, September 2012

Note:  ... And there is nothing new under the sun.  Ecclesiastes 1:9, New King James Version.